Journalism Dream CONTEST
1. TO ENTER the Journalism Dream contest (the “Contest”) simply visit the web site located at www.journalismdream.com, complete and submit your entry by following the instructions found on the site. In the event of a dispute, entries received on-line shall be deemed to be submitted by the "Authorized Account Holder" of the email address submitted at the time of entry. "Authorized Account Holder" is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an internet access provider, on-line service provider, or other organization (e.g. business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. All entries must include your first and last name, address, email address, date of birth and ten digit day time and evening telephone number. All entries for the Grand Prizes and Secondary Prizes must also include either a maximum 500 word essay, with a maximum file size of 25MB, in English, or a photo essay comprised of a series of photographs (minimum 3 and maximum 5 photos) in JPEG format with a maximum file size of 2MB each. All entries must be in accordance with the submission guidelines below. Limit of one (1) entry per individual, per category. All entries for the Tertiary Prize must include a vote for one of the already existing photographic or written entries available for viewing on the Contest site. Limit one vote per voter, per category, per day. Contest starts at 1:00 a.m. Eastern Time ("ET") on Monday, October 05, 2009 and closes on Sunday, November 22, 2009 at 11:59:59 p.m. ET (the “Contest Period”). There are two (2) grand prizes (the "Grand Prizes"), eighteen (18) secondary prizes (each, a "Secondary Prize"), and one (1) tertiary prize (the “Tertiary Prize”) (collectively, the "Prizes" and each, a "Prize") to be won from among all the eligible entries received during the Contest Period. Limit of one Prize per entrant (regardless of entry in both eligible categories). No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited.
Submission Guidelines: There are two possible categories for entry in this Contest. Writing Category: For those with an interest in writing and story telling: submit your entry as a story with a maximum 500 words, in English, describing an event or occurrence at any sporting event you have attended. Whether it took place in a large arena, at a local park, on your street or in your own backyard; tell us your most fascinating and fun sports story. You will require the consent of all individuals who are named in the essay you submit for the Contest and for the display by the Contest Sponsor in print, including the newspaper, and online. Further, by entering this Contest, the entrant represents that the essay is original to him/her and that the entrant has all necessary rights in and to the essay to enter the essay in this Contest.
Photography Category: For those with a keen eye for photography: submit a photo essay that captures the drama and passion of sports. Anything from a big season opener, a championship rivalry or your child's soccer practice; in a photo essay (minimum 3 and maximum 5 photos) show us the true spirit of sports through your camera lens. Each photo must be submitted in JPEG format with a maximum size of 2MB per photograph. You must have taken the photos that you submit for the Contest and consent to the display of the photos by the Contest Sponsor in print, including in the newspaper, and online. You will require the consent of all individuals who are visible in the photos and the consent of the individuals’ parent or legal guardian if a minor. Photos taken by a professional are not permitted. You must ensure that no third party logos, trade-marks or other material which may be the subject of copyright appear in your photos.
Contest Sponsor will post entries on the Contest website for public voting. Contest Sponsor reserve the right, in its sole discretion, to refrain from posting any entry that it believes to be in appropriate or otherwise in violation of these Contest rules.
For those who would rather vote versus participate: If you are intrigued by what you see and read on the Contest site, you are eligible for entry into the Contest simply by voting for your favourite story or series of photographs by clicking on the check-box adjacent to each entry on the site. Each vote is equivalent to one ballot eligible for the randomly drawn Tertiary Prize. One vote per category per user per day. Entries not complying with these Contest rules will be disqualified. Voting period begins Monday, October 19, 2009 at 11:59:59 p.m. ET and closes on Sunday, November 22, 2009 at 11:59:59 p.m. ET (the “Voting Period”).
2. The contest sponsor is CTVglobemedia Publishing Inc. . (hereinafter referred to as the “Contest Sponsor”).
3. To enter and to be eligible to win, entrant must be a legal resident of Canada and be over the age of majority in the province or territory in which he/she resides. Professional news writers and photographers (at the Contest Sponsor’s sole discretion) are not eligible to enter. Employees and their parents, siblings and children, and persons domiciled with an employee of any of the Contest Sponsor, VANOC (Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games), their respective agents, parent, affiliated or related companies, subsidiaries, divisions, prize sponsors, and promotional and advertising agencies and administrators, are ineligible to enter. A winner of a The Globe and Mail contest within the three (3) months preceding the start of this contest (including persons designated by such winners to take ownership of prizes) and persons domiciled with a winner are not eligible to enter.
4. Grand Prizes - There are two (2) Grand Prizes (one per category ‘Writing’ and ‘Photography’) each consisting of one (1) A Journalist’s Dream Trip (for two) to the 2010 Vancouver Olympic Games and the opportunity to be a “guest journalist” for the Globe and Mail. The “Writing” winner will also receive a laptop – Acer Aspire 8935 and the “Photography” Winner will receive a SLR Digital Camera - Panasonic DMC-L10 Lumix Digital SLR Camera with Interchangeable Lens. Trip includes: round trip economy air fare for two (2) from a major Canadian airport closest to the Prize winner’s place of residence in Canada (hereinafter referred to as the “Departure Point”) to Vancouver, British Columbia; fourteen (14) nights accommodation (based on one (1) room, double occupancy) as chosen by the Contest Sponsor, event tickets for the Olympic Games (number of events and selection of events at Contest Sponsor’s sole discretion) plus One Thousand ($1,000.00) Dollars Cdn. in spending money. Prize winner and his/her travelling companion are solely responsible for all costs not expressly described herein including, without limitation, applicable taxes, fuel/currency surcharges, ground transportation, meals, beverages, room service, gratuities, merchandise, telephone calls, insurance together with any required travel documentation, and all personal expenses of any kind or nature, together with any applicable overnight layover. Departure dates and hotel accommodation are subject to availability and change without notice or compensation. Prize winner and his/her travelling companion are also solely responsible for all costs incurred to and from the Departure Point as the Prize originates and terminates there. It is the sole responsibility of the Prize winner his/her travelling companion to obtain all necessary travel documentation, as applicable. Prize winner and his/her travelling companion must be able to travel at the times and dates as determined by the Contest Sponsor in its sole discretion and authority failing which the Prize will be forfeited. Prize winner must be able to remain at the Olympic Games throughout the travel period, failing which the Prize may be forfeited. It is recommended that Prize winner and his/her travelling companion obtain sufficient personal insurance prior to departure. Travel must take place on Friday February 11, 2010 to February 25, 2010 (any changes to travelling dates are at the Contest Sponsor’s sole discretion). Approximate retail value of each prize is Ten Thousand Dollars ($10,000.00) cdn. based on a Halifax, Nova Scotia departure. In the event that the Prize winner resides within a 250 km radius of the Greater Vancouver Area, the Prize will be deemed not to include airfare. In such event the Prize winner will be provided with $500.00 cash in lieu of airfare. In such a case, the approximate retail value of the Grand Prize is Nine Thousand Five Hundred ($9,500.00) Dollars Cdn. Grand Prize winners will have to attend a briefing with a Globe and Mail journalist in Vancouver to receive instructions on how to fulfill their role as “guest journalists”. “Writer” must submit a minimum of five (5) articles and “Photographer” must submit a minimum of five (5) photographs, which may be published and/or edited at the Globe and Mail’s editorial staff’s sole discretion. No further compensation will be made to the guest journalists for their submission of articles/photographs.
5. Secondary Prizes - There are eighteen (18) Secondary Prizes, nine (9) for each category of entry. There are nine (9) Acer laptop computers Acer Aspire 8935 available to be won in the Writing category and nine (9) Panasonic DMC-L10 Lumix Digital SLR Camera available to be won in the Photography category. Approximate retail value of each Secondary Prize is One Thousand Five Hundred Dollars ($1,500.00) Cdn.
Tertiary Prize – There is one (1) Tertiary Prize consisting of one (1) Acer Aspire 8935 laptop computer and one (1) Panasonic DMC-L10 Lumix Digital SLR Camera. Approximate retail value of the Tertiary Prize is Three Thousand Dollars ($3,000.00) Cdn.
6. Prizes must be accepted as awarded. The Prizes may not be sold, transferred and are not convertible to cash. Contest Sponsor reserves the right to substitute the Prizes in whole or in part in the event that all or any component of the Prizes are unavailable. Prize winner is solely responsible for all costs not expressly described herein. No change in travel arrangements can be made by the Grand Prize Winner once the booking has been confirmed. The Grand Prize may not be used towards any type of frequent flyer mileage, or other reward point accumulation program.
7. Grand/Secondary Prize Awarding: On or after Monday, November 23, 2009 through Sunday, December 13, 2009, an impartial panel of judges made up of Globe and Mail Editorial Staff (the "Judges") will review the top 50 entries as determined by public voting during the Voting Period in each category. The criteria that will be used by the Judges to determine the Grand Prizes and Secondary Prize winners, in no particular order, includes creativity, originality, composition, and overall quality. Judging for the overall quality criteria in the ‘Writing Category’ includes, without limitation: grammar, spelling, punctuation, and use of language and sentence structure. Judging for the overall quality criteria in the ‘Photography Category’ entries includes, without limitation, originality of the shot(s), clarity, sharpness and focus. In the event of a time, the entry with the highest score in the overall quality criteria will be considered a potential winner. The judges will narrow the entries down to the top 10 selections in each category (‘Writing’ and ‘Photography’). Judges will contact the top three entrants in each category (based on Judges’ scoring) for telephone interviews in order to help them assess (along with the scores from the criteria set out above) which the of these entrants would be the best suited in the role as the guest journalist. All decisions of the Judges are final and binding. If a potential entrant is not available or cannot be contacted for a telephone interview at the time determined by the Judges, that entrant will be ineligible for the Grand Prize, but will still be eligible to win a Secondary Prize. A Grand Prize winner will be chosen in each category (‘Writing’ and ‘Photography’), and one (1) of nine (9) Secondary Prizes will be awarded to the remainder of the top 10 selections in each category.
Tertiary Prize Draw: On or after Monday, December 14, 2009 at approximately 2:00p.m. ET, a random draw for the Tertiary Prize will take place at K.D. Black and Company Inc. (“BLACK”), Toronto, Ontario from among all eligible entries received during the Contest Period.
K.D. Black and Company Inc. (BLACK) on behalf of the Contest Sponsor, acting reasonably, will attempt to contact all potential winners by telephone within two (2) business days after the judging. In the event the potential winner cannot be contacted within 2 business days after the judging (or selection in the case of the Tertiary Prize), he or she will be disqualified and an alternate potential winner will be selected. Proof of identification must be provided upon request. Entries remain the property of the entrant, however by entering, each entrant grants the Contest Sponsor a perpetual license to publish the essay, photograph (as is or as may be edited) in “The Globe And Mail“ and/or to reproduce the essay, photograph (as is or as may be edited) on www.globeandmail.com/journalismdream website. Contest Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any claims against infringement of the right of privacy with respect to any submission. The odds of winning a Prize will depend on the number of eligible entries received during the Contest Period and for the Grand Prize and Secondary Prizes, conformity with judging criteria. In order to be declared a winner, potential winner(s) must first correctly answer, unaided, a time limited mathematical skill testing question administered by K.D. Black and Company Inc. (BLACK). Before being awarded a Prize, potential winner, and the Grand Prize winners’ travelling companion (or his/her parent or legal guardian if a minor) will be required to sign and return within the time stipulated by the Contest Sponsor, a full release and indemnity form stating that he/she has read and understood these official rules and regulations (“Rules”), grants all consents required, authorizes the Contest Sponsor to broadcast, publish and disseminate his/her name, city of residence, photograph, likeness, sobriquet and voice, in connection with any promotion or publicity, and/or for general news, entertainment and information purposes at no additional compensation to the potential winner, beyond the awarding of or participation in the Prize, accepts the Prize as offered and releases the Contest Sponsor and VANOC (the “Released Parties”) from any and all liability of any kind arising out of the potential winner’s and/or travelling companion’s (as applicable) participation in this Contest and receipt and use of the Prize. In the event that the potential winner and/or travelling companion (as applicable) does not comply with all the provisions as contemplated in these Rules, Contest Sponsor shall have the right to disqualify potential winner and/or travelling companion (as applicable), and select an alternate potential winner and/or travelling companion (as applicable) and the Contest Sponsor shall be fully and completely released and discharged from any liability or responsibility in this regard. The provisions and procedures referred to above relating to selection and notification of a potential winner, shall be applied, with the necessary amendments, until a qualified winner and/or travelling companion (as applicable) has/have been duly selected.
8. By entering this Contest the entrants and participants automatically agree to accept and abide by these Rules. All decisions of the Contest Sponsor with respect to any aspect of this Contest, including without limitation the eligibility of entries, are final and binding on all entrants in all matters as they relate to this Contest. Entrants must ensure that their entry is original and does not include any third party’s proprietary content, including trade-marks or copyrighted content. Contest Sponsor, in itssole discretion, may disqualify any entrant who uses third party proprietary content. Contest Sponsor further reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to edit any entry submission to blur out any trade-marks or to remove any copyrighted content, as applicable. Submissions must not include any illegal, defamatory or in any way obscene content. Entries remain the property of the entrant. By entering this Contest each entrant (i) represents that his/her entry submission is her or her original work and does not infringe on any third party’s copyright, trade-mark or other intellectual property rights, (ii) that he/she has all necessary rights from any third party that appear, or is mentioned, in the submission, including those from the parent or legal guardian if third party is under the age of majority; (iii) grants the Contest Sponsor, an unlimited, royalty free, irrevocable, right and license to reproduce, post and/or broadcast the submission (as is or as may be edited) in any form of media now known or hereinafter developed; (iv) waives all moral rights in the submission in favour of the Contest Sponsor, (v) agrees to release, indemnify, discharge and hold harmless the Contest Sponsor, VANOC, their respective parent, subsidiary and affiliated companies, and their respective officers, directors, employees, agents and representatives from any claim or liability arising from or related to the submission, participation in this Contest, and/or acceptance and or use of any Prize awarded, and (vi) consents to the publication and/or use, in any medium of the entrant’s entry, name, city of residence, photograph and/or image for publicity purposes carried out by the Contest Sponsor or its advertising and promotional agencies without payment or compensation of any kind. Entry submissions may be showcased by Contest Sponsor on a public viewing gallery. Contest Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any claims against infringement of the right of privacy with respect to any submission submitted.
9. The Released Parties assume no responsibility for garbled, lost, late, delayed, destroyed or misdirected entries, mail, votes, voice messages, e-mail or any computer errors or malfunctions. No correspondence will be entered into except with entrants requesting Rules by mail or requesting names of prize winners (for which a self-addressed, postage paid envelope must be included). Released Parties do not assume any responsibility for incorrect or inaccurate capture of entry or voting information, technical malfunctions, human or technical error, seeding or printing errors, lost, delayed or garbled data or transmissions, omission, interruption, deletion, defect or failures of any telephone or computer line or network, computer equipment, software or any combination thereof. Entry materials-data that have been tampered with or altered are void. If for any reason, in the opinion of the Contest Sponsor, in its sole discretion, the Contest is not capable of running as originally planned, or if the administration, security, fairness, integrity or the proper conduct of the Contest is corrupted or adversely affected, including by reason of infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond its control, Contest Sponsor reserves its right (subject only to the consent of the Régie des alcools, des course et des jeux) to cancel, terminate, modify, amend, extend or suspend the Contest including canceling any method of entry, and select a winner from previously received eligible entries. Contest Sponsor reserves its right (subject only to the consent of the Régie des alcools, des course et des jeux) to modify the Rules without materially affecting the terms and conditions hereof. The Contest Sponsor reserves its right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry or voting process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of the Rules or otherwise in a disruptive manner. Any attempts to deliberately damage the Contest web site or to undermine the legitimate operation of this Contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made the Contest Sponsor reserves its right to seek remedies and damages to the fullest extent of the law. Released Parties shall not be held responsible for any errors or negligence that may arise or occur in connection with the Contest including any damage to an entrant’s computer equipment, system, software or any combination thereof, as a result of their participation in this Contest or from downloading any material from the Contest web site, where applicable.
11. For Quebec residents, any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of this Contest may be submitted to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux du Quebec for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a prize may be submitted to the Régie only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement.
12. In the event of any discrepancy or inconsistency between the terms and conditions of the Contest Rules and disclosures or other statements contained in any Contest related materials, including but not limited to the Contest entry form, or point of sale, television, print or online advertising, the terms and conditions of the Contest Rules shall prevail, govern and control. In the event of any discrepancy or inconsistency between the English language version and the French language version of the Contest Rules, as applicable, the English version shall prevail, govern and control.
13. All intellectual property, including but not limited to trade-marks, trade-names, logos, designs, promotional materials, web pages, source codes, drawings, illustrations, slogans and representations are owned by the Contest Sponsor, VANOC and/or their affiliates. All rights are reserved. Unauthorized copying or use of any copyrighted material or intellectual property without the express written consent of its owner is strictly prohibited.